IIA Award in interpersonal skills for audit and assurance
Presented by: Rosamond Goodall CMIIA CIA
This module covers the interpersonal skills that are essential for those involved in internal auditing, compliance and risk management; and if you would like to understand how to be an effective communicator, this is the module for you. We have all been communicating since the moment we were born but why is it that some people seem better at it than others. Why is it that there are people we meet who come across as charismatic and seem to get on well with everyone? Understanding how you can make the most of every encounter is the key to personal success. This workshop provides the opportunity to assess your own interpersonal skills, how you interact, persuade and influence others. You will explore different tools and techniques that can be used to help you identify your areas of strength and those where you wish to make improvements.
You are provided with opportunities to go through the interpersonal skills and assess yourself, how you interact, persuade and influence others. You will explore different tools and techniques that can be used to help you identify your areas of strength and those where you wish to make improvements.
Who should attend?
This course is open to all.
What will I learn?
You will gain a clear understanding of the competencies that are required to communicate and engage with others effectively. There are opportunities to assess and reflect upon how you interact with others and identify areas that you may wish to improve. You will utilise tool and techniques that may assist in improving your own competencies. Your assessments are not shared with the group unless you wish to do so.
Areas that will be covered are:
- understand the principles of communication and how you can apply different approaches to enhance your effectiveness.
- explore the different personality traits and understand how to use emotional intelligence to build sustainable business relationships.
- identify listening barriers that you may have and consider ways to address these.
- understand the importance of body language and how it can add strength to your verbal messages.
- understand the importance of structuring interviews so that you come across as professional.
- apply effective questioning strategies for dealing with challenging situations.
- develop and apply influencing, persuasion, and negotiation skills to achieve positive outcomes.
- know how to use a conflict model when dealing with difficult situations.
- understand the principles of how to develop and deliver powerful presentations.
- explore the use of presenter techniques to stay in control.
Interpersonal skills and their importance everyday
- the theory of communication and how different channels work
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and how we think
- different personality types and how best to communicate with them
- recognising the barriers to listening and how they can be overcome
- understanding body language and how it influences communication
- why sustainable relationships are important
- how stakeholder mapping can ensure the function and you meet their needs
- the communication qualities that stakeholders value
Meeting and interviewing skills
- why preparation is key for ensuring an effective interview or meeting
- how to structure a meeting or interview
- when to use open and closed questions
- how to avoid common problems when meeting or interviewing stakeholders
- effective questioning strategies for dealing with challenging situations
Influence, persuasion, and negotiation skills
- understanding our role as a change agent
- why preparation is vital for a successful outcome
- how to use a conflict model to achieve a better outcome
- how to prepare for delivering a presentation
- how to handle audience questions
- the importance of speaking at a suitable speed
- the techniques presenters use for staying in control
There is pre-course preparation for this module. It is a combination of reading and watching short video clips. These will help you understand the areas we will cover and provide ideas for developing your pre-course objectives. You will be sent the material upon confirmation of your booking.
CPE competency areas covered
- Professionalism (Professional development)
- Performance (Engagement fieldwork | Engagement outcomes)
- Leadership and communication (Communication)
14 CPE points