25 June | Birmingham
This is an Aspire community event from the Midlands IIA, hosted and supported by Protiviti. It is aimed at early career internal auditors who have up to three years of experience in an internal audit role. This Aspire event explores the question “what’s the point of Internal Audit?”. The day will cover a range of soft skills, knowledge transfer and personal development topics, including a panel session at the end. The theme running through the day is the question “what’s the point of Internal Audit?” leading to a focus on how to drive the relevance and value of Internal Audit now and in future.
The event provides a chance to develop your knowledge on a range of topics which are important to internal auditors. It will help you consider how your career in Internal Audit helps an organisation achieve its objectives, network with your peers and find out how experienced internal auditors have developed their careers.
This is an Aspire community event. Aspire is a community of the Chartered IIA that supports young internal audit professionals who want to get a head-start in their careers.
What will I learn?
- Increased awareness of soft skills, risk management and technical knowledge that is relevant for internal auditors
- An opportunity to network with your peers who are new to their career in internal audit
- A chance to take part in a panel session to discuss the value of internal audit.
- Faye Lloyd, Head of Internal Audit, University of Cardiff
- Phil Tompkins, Director of Risk and Internal Audit
- Mark Koernich, Risk Manager, Capita
- Kathy Newman, Audit Director, Nationwide
- Liz Sandwith, Chief Professional Practice Advisor, Chartered IIA
CPE core competencies
- Governance, risk and control
- Internal audit delivery
- Improvement and innovation.
5 CPE points
|08.45 - 09.15
||Registration & coffee
|09.15 - 09.30
||Welcome & introduction
|9.30 - 10.30
||The skills of an internal auditor
Faye Lloyd, head of internal audit, University of Cardiff
|10.30 - 10.45
|10.45 - 11.45
||Heroes and Villains – What do good and bad audits look like?
Phil Tompkins, director of risk and internal audit
||Risk – assessment, appetite and assurance
Mark Koernich, risk manager, Capita
|12.45 - 1.30
||Networking and lunch
|1.30 - 2.30
||Keeping Internal Audit relevant in a changing environment
|2.30 - 3.30
||Innovation in Internal Audit
Kathy Newman, audit director, Nationwide
|3.30 - 3.45
|3.45 - 4.30
||Panel Discussion: What’s the point of Internal Audit?
This event has been organised by the IIA Midlands regional group and is sponsored and hosted by Protiviti.