The Digital World and Big Data is forcing Internal Auditors to rethink their approach to data and get ‘hands-on’. This course takes you on a rapid tour of how to get the most out of the software available to most auditors. You’ll learn tips and tricks to speed up your work, particularly in the controls testing and reporting phases of an audit.
Who should attend?
This course is open to all.
NOTE: This is a 'hands-on' course and each delegate must bring a laptop to the course with an installed copy of Microsoft Office version 2010 or later. They will also need an ability to install two other software elements if they wish to explore all the hands-on content supported by the course. Each delegate must also ensure that they are authorised and able to copy working data (comprising example Excel, PDF, TXT and Access files from a provided DVD, or from a memory stick, or from a pre-supplied email attachment) and are able to access, at least, the standard features of a standard installation of Microsoft Excel. The use of a mouse is recommended for some exercises as some features within Microsoft Office are impossible to access via a touchpad. Delegates who arrive on course without these defined capabilities will either not be able to proceed or will only be able to enjoy partial course content.
What will I learn?
Upon completion you will be able to:
- check up to 100% of the data available to you electronically;
- put vital components of Office to work in the most efficient manner; and
- manage and manipulate data to create persuasive results.
The course is accompanied by a manual that has course text and a DVD of practice data to take away.
Data analytics and handling - working directly with Excel
- checking spreadsheet integrity – common sources of error
- re‐performance and virtual calculations – why do this?
- excel statistics – what do you get out of the box?
- filtering and stratification
- simple and complex sortation
- why test a sample when you could hit 100%?
Data analytics and handling – extras through Excel
- fuzzy data matching
- replicating what other tools can do
Data graphics – colour and imagery through Excel
- conditional formatting
- using colour, icons, and thematic schemes
- creating charts that dazzle
- embedding charts and images in your reports
Queries, Reports, Dashboards and Business Intelligence
- data import from usual and unusual sources
- the JET engine and finding MSQRY within your system
- connecting with external data
- creating a query from tables and fields and their interpretation
- generating reports
- polishing results
- creating dashboards using free free-standing products that can interact with MS Office
CPE competency areas covered
- improvement and innovation
- critical thinking
- business acumen
7 CPE points
Member: £625 + VAT
Non-member: £840 + VAT
SAVE £100 when you book this course 3 months in advance