About the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors
The Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors is the only professional association for internal auditors in the UK and Ireland. We are passionate about our members and our profession.
The role of internal audit is to provide independent assurance that an organisation's risk management, governance and internal control processes are operating effectively.
Internal auditing is a dynamic, exciting career. It gives you unique insight in to your organisation and its strategy. Internal auditors look at the big risks and issues that the organisation faces and think about whether these are being well managed.
That the IIA is regarded as being essential to the success of those individuals and organisations involved in internal audit.
To develop the profession to ensure that it has the knowledge, skills and expertise to be essential to the success of organisations
To promote the role and value of the profession to ensure that it is recognised as essential to success
- Raising the profile of the profession
- Developing the competence of internal auditors
- Engaging with key stakeholders within the profession
- Growing membership
- Generating income
There is a further focus on an area that underpins activity: optimising service delivery.
Within these strategic priorities there are a number if activities where we intend to make a step change in our level of activity and achievement. These are:
- Engaging with audit committee and non-executive board members
- Growing the membership
- Implementing global qualification convergence while ensuring our education offer meets the changing needs of the profession and employers
- Implementing a sector strategy
- Supporting the voice of the Irish profession
- Delivering a successful International Conference in London 2014
- Delivering an integrated digital strategy encompassing e-commerce, social media, digital delivery of services.
- Establishing a base of research and policy publications
There are two ways an internal auditor can achieve Chartered Internal Auditor status, which carries the CMIIA designation.
2. Become chartered by experience via our new assessment route
The Chartered IIA is part of a global network of institutes affiliated to IIA Global. When you join the Chartered IIA you automatically become a member of IIA Global along with more than 180,000 internal auditors in 190 countries around the world.
IIA Global provides services to our members here in the UK and Ireland, as well as working to promote and develop the profession worldwide.
These services include the International Standards, the annual international conference, AuditChannel.tv and a wealth of global guidance for members.
Members can access guidance and information through IIA Global using their IIA Global password. This is provided to members when they join the Chartered IIA.
Our members are represented at IIA Global through a seat on the board of Directors.
European Confederation of Institutes of Internal Auditing (ECIIA)
The European Confederation of Institutes of Internal Auditing (ECIIA) represents the internal auditing profession in Europe. ECIIA promotes internal auditing to organisations within the European Community, it publishes research and position papers and organises a successful annual conference.
Find the IIA in your country
The Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors serves internal auditors in the UK and Ireland. To find the IIA in another country visit IIA Global.